Lulit Price, MD, Neelam Vashi, MD, and Nkanyezi Ferguson, MD
What do I use dandruff shampoos for?
How and when do I use these shampoos?
- Wash hair at least once weekly
- Rub shampoo gently into scalp (rub into scalp only as shampoos can be drying to the hair)
- Select sulfate-free antidandruff shampoos whenever possible
- Leave on for at least five minutes before rinsing
- Using two shampoos with different active elements may work best. Switch shampoos each week.
- You can use your regular shampoo to the rest of your hair and moisturizing conditioner after using dandruff shampoos if desired
What shampoos can I buy?
Below is a list of active elements that help with itching, redness, and flaking. Please note that some of these may be drying on the scalp.
- Pyrithione Zinc
- Selenium Sulfide
- Salicylic Acid
- Tar (Note: tar may turn white/gray hair yellow if used often)
Download Spanish translation.
Descarga traducción en español.
Click here for more information on the Valeant Research Award.
Read published peer-reviewed articles written your by Skin of Color Society members
Did You Know
Skin of color patients comprise the majority in California, New Mexico and Texas…and soon will be the majority in Arizona, Nevada, Georgia, New York and Florida.
By 2042, more than 50% of the US population will have skin of color.