With great anticipation, we look ahead to the 17th Annual Skin of Color Society Scientific Symposium, “Shaping the Future,” which will take place virtually on Saturday, March 13, 2021, at 10:00 AM CT.
Co-chaired again by Amy McMichael, MD, FAAD and Andrew Alexis, MD, MPH, FAAD, this year’s Symposium will continue in its well-established tradition of presenting the latest research and insights from skin of color dermatology experts, thought leaders and researchers from around the world. For the second year in a row, we will present the Symposium virtually, due to the pandemic-driven cancellation of the American Academy of Dermatology Annual Meeting. This year’s Symposium will feature updated virtual production from last year’s program.
While we miss our in-person meetings enormously, conducting the Symposium virtually has proven to enable much wider participation among our international members, colleagues and dermatologists-in-training from many parts of the world. For example, last year we attracted a record-setting level of attendance that represented nearly a three-fold increase in participation! We expect to have another outstanding level of participation for this year’s exciting program.
This year’s Symposium will feature invited expert speakers on a range of skin of color dermatology topics, a moderated panel discussion and oral/iPoster presentations by residents, fellows and medical students. The program includes:
- Welcome and Opening Remarks: SOCS President Lynn McKinley-Grant, MD, FAAD and SOCS Scientific Committee co-chairs Amy McMichael, MD, FAAD and Andrew Alexis, MD, MPH, FAAD.
- Invited Speakers:
- SOCS Founder Susan C. Taylor, MD, FAAD and SOCS Founding Member Pearl E. Grimes, MD, FAAD: History of Skin of Color (video presentation)
- Shawn G. Kwatra, MD, FAAD: “Racial Differences in Itch: From Bedside to Bench”
- Angel Byrd, BS, MD, PhD: “Understanding the Immunopathological Mechanisms Contributing to the Pathophysiology of Hidradenitis Suppurativa”
- Howard Bauchner, MD, “Evolving Issues in Medical Journalism”
- Antonella Tosti, MD: “Trichoscopy in the Diagnosis of Hair Disorders: Why, When and How”
- Steven Wang, MD, FAAD: “Controversies in Photoprotection”
- Next Generation | Panel Discussion: Shaping the Future
Moderated by SOCS board member Candrice Heath, MD, FAAD, the discussion will feature member panelists Jenna Lester, MD, FAAD; Janiene D. Luke, MD, FAAD; Nada Elbuluk, MD, MSc, FAAD and Dhaval G. Bhanusali, MD, FAAD.Registration for the 17th Annual Skin of Color Society Scientific Symposium is included with current SOCS membership as a member benefit; non-members may attend for a nominal fee. Register here.The SOCS Annual Business Meeting, also held online, will precede the Scientific Symposium, beginning at 8:30 am CT on the same day, March 13, 2021.
We hope that you can join us for this informative, insightful program!