Authors: Drs. Lulit Price, Neelam Vashi, and Nkanyezi Ferguson
What do I use dandruff shampoos for?
How and when do I use these shampoos?
- Wash hair at least once weekly
- Rub shampoo gently into scalp (rub into scalp only as shampoos can be drying to the hair)
- Select sulfate-free antidandruff shampoos whenever possible
- Leave on for at least five minutes before rinsing
- Using two shampoos with different active elements may work best. Switch shampoos each week.
- You can use your regular shampoo to the rest of your hair and moisturizing conditioner after using dandruff shampoos if desired
What shampoos can I buy?
Below is a list of active elements that help with itching, redness, and flaking. Please note that some of these may be drying on the scalp.
- Pyrithione Zinc
- Selenium Sulfide
- Salicylic Acid
- Tar (Note: tar may turn white/gray hair yellow if used often)
Click here for more information on the Valeant Research Award.