Did you know that many Skin of Color Society leaders throughout our 15-year history also serve in leadership roles in other major dermatologic organizations, as well as other important public roles in health, medicine and the community?
We proudly recognize that active involvement in SOCS provides unique opportunities for members to serve and contribute, develop leadership skills, gain meaningful growth experiences, benefit from mentors and from mentoring, and hone communication abilities as leaders—all in a highly supportive, dynamic atmosphere. In reality, SOCS serves as a leadership accelerator—giving members exciting and rewarding experiences that poise them for other leadership roles in larger organizations and within their own practices, institutions, communities and the global profession of dermatology.
For example, here are some SOCS leaders who serve (or have served/will serve) on the Board of Directors of the American Academy of Dermatology, along with some noteworthy leadership roles in other major organizations:
- Cheryl Burgess, MD—Founding member, SOCS and incoming BOD member, AAD.
- Valerie Callender, MD—Founding member, SOCS and current BOD member, AAD; Past President of the Women’s Dermatologic Society.
- Seemal R. Desai, MD—Immediate Past President, SOCS and current BOD member, AAD; Appointed to US Food & Drug Administration, on FDA Pharmacy Compounding Advisory Committee (PCAC).
- Pearl E. Grimes, MD—Founding member, SOCS and Past President, WDS.
- Henry Lim, MD— Founding member, SOCS and Past President, AAD.
- Amy McMichael, MD—Past President, SOCS and incoming BOD member, AAD; Past Vice President, WDS.
- Marta Rendon, MD, Past President SOCS and Vice President and President-elect WDS.
- Susan C. Taylor, MD—Founder and President, SOCS and Current VP-Elect, AAD.
We salute you all for your contributions to SOCS, to the profession and to society. Your leadership qualities benefit us all.
If you have a leadership story or insight to share, please share it on SOCS social media with the hashtag #SOCS and #SOCSLeadership or write to us: firstname.lastname@example.org.